Monday, October 15, 2012

I Love to See the Temple

Yesterday, after I posted about slicing and dicing, the children's song, “I Love to See the Temple,” got lodged in my head.

Here’s a link for it if you’re not already familiar: I Love to See the Temple

There’s a lot of talk in my church about bodies being temples.  It’s not a weird Mormon idea, because I googled and saw all kinds of other Christian links to the scripture in Corinthians (which I believe I’m supposed to have memorized).  Strangely, associating cutting with the idea of my body as a temple wasn’t particularly upsetting (i.e. I should feel guilt for defiling my “temple”).

Instead of feeling guilty, I started thinking about what it’s like to be in the temple and participate in its ordinances, and how relieved I am to be endowed and to know more about God’s plan for us.

I know I’m messed up, and sometimes it makes me feel unworthy to enter the temple, but at the same time, I know that God loves me, even when I do stupid and harmful things.

Anyway, I didn’t want to get too far into the saccharine, but having the thoughts of cutting replaced by a song about the temple was an instant blessing and a good reminder of God’s daily role in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment